Epiphanies Come From the Strangest Places

I've been reading this blog called Mark Reads, specifically his chapter by chapter reviews of one of my all time favorite series, which just happen to be the books that started me reading fantasy in the first place, The Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce.  Her books are amazing coming of age stories and often focus on strong, female characters (right up my alley!).  In the second book of the series, Pierce includes a sexual relationship between the main character and a friend of hers.  It's important to remember that these are young adult fiction, published in the 80s, and she's got a female character having sex with someone without being in a relationship with them.  Completely awesome, right?  I read these books for the first time somewhere between 1992-1994 and have reread them more times than I can count since then.  The blog review I'm reading about book two phrased it like this: "To have this sexual relationship presented so plainly and without shame is fantastic. Major, major props to you, Tamora Pierce."  I've read these books so many times, but I never really put the feeling I got from this particular section in quite this way and now I wish I had.

I realized several years ago that I had created some of the things that I find attractive for myself by what shows I watched during high school (especially the long haired look on guys, thank you Adrian Paul as Duncan MacLeod), but I hadn't thought about how the things I read and watched growing up could have informed my willingness to and love of having my friends make up a significant portion of my sexual partner base.  We are our own creations, and it's important to remember that.  As much as our parents and environments shape us, we shape our selves by what we choose to consume, media-wise.

Self discovery is an interesting and ongoing process.  So is self creation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expert's Guide to Pegging review

Rape and the GOP

Spell Bound Review