Birth control

I've recently realized how much of a burden taking birth control pills really are.  I can't sleep in as late as I want, because I have to make sure that I take my pill in the right window then it's not as effective, which means courting pregnancy.  Pregnancy is something I really don't want to court.  I had one pregnancy scare when in high school and that's enough for me, thanks!  More than enough, actually.  I really could have done without that experience, but I also learned a number of things about myself from it, so I guess it wasn't all bad.

With the passage of the recent requirements that will make insurance companies have to cover all, or almost all, birth control methods for women with no copay.  The changes should go into effect next year.  I'm contemplating changing to an IUD.  I've got reservations about this, stemming from stories I've heard from various friends.  One friend was born holding her mother's IUD.  Another friend said that her male partner could feel the IUD with his penis.

The side effects of using an IUD are also kinda scary.  Perforated uterus, it can slip out, infections.

I've thought about getting a tubaligation.  I don't know if I'm ready to give up my fertility just yet.  I've never wanted to have kids, but being sterilized is so very final.  It's a step I'm just not ready to make at this point in my life.
 It's a hard decision and I'll be doing more research before I make any decision, along with talking to those closest to me to get their thoughts, since any decision I make regarding my birth control choices effects them as well.  I'm also interested in anything you all have to say on the matter.  Birth control is a huge topic that has a huge impact on all our lives.

ETA: One of the reasons I'd thought about getting away from hormonal birth control is that it would mean I could stop worrying about the interaction of the estrogens in my meds with estrogen in other things, like soy products or flax seed.  Comments on other forums have reminded of the many problems with IUDs.  *sigh*  It's not a decision I'm going to be making too soon...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expert's Guide to Pegging review

Spell Bound Review

Awareness